What is Remedial Massage?
Remedial Massage is one of the many modalities that falls under the umbrella of ‘Complementary and Alternative Medicine’ (CAM). One study (in Australia) estimates 70% of the population are currently utilising CAM as an option or to complement traditional Western Medicine.
(Textbook Remedial Massage, Grace & Deal 2012)
Remedial massage is the assessment and treatment of the muscles, tendons, ligaments and connective tissues (collectively known as soft tissue) of the body to assist in pain management, postural re-education and rehabilitation.
It’s performed to create the best conditions for the body to return to normal health after injury and is defined by the premise that the treatment can reasonably reverse certain physical effects a person may present with.
Remedial massage is designed to :
- Balance muscle/soft tissue length, tension and tone helping ease pain from injury and poor postural patterns.
- Increase the flow of blood and lymph, particularly in the injured areas, thus removing blockages, damaged cells, scar tissue and adhesions resulting from injury.
Most remedial massage begins with Swedish Massage/basic massage to prepare for more deeper techniques.
These deeper techniques may include:
- Deep gliding and cross fibre friction
- Soft Tissue Release (pin and stretch)
- Myofascial Release
- Trigger Point Therapy
- Muscle Energy Techniques (assisted by client – Isometric contraction against force)
A remedial therapist must have knowledge of anatomy, physiology and pathophysiology to determine where to treat patients. Before any remedial massage treatment begins, a thorough consultation and assessment is performed to ascertain your current health status.
Your remedial massage therapist will provide some tests to see exactly which muscles are giving you trouble and will tailor a treatment plan to suit.
The treatment itself may involve deep tissue work for short periods of time, but the results are definitely worth it!
Duration : 45 mins
To make an appointment, please fill out this form and submit to us